Tag

So, I was tagged by Susy for this one.

A. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning
B. Each player lists 6 facts/habits about themselves
C. At the end of the post, the player then tags 6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blog and leaves them a comment letting them know that they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog for game rules/details

1. I am a fanatic about clean bathrooms. My husband never notices when I clean his bathroom and sometimes it hurts my feelings. He just tells me that he would probably notice if I let it get dirty first.

2. You may remember my confessions posting. I will not repeat this one...but needless to say I am a sugar fiend.

3. I used to be such an exercise junky. In high school I played sports...not that I was particularly good at any of them but I loved to work up a sweat. In college I got really into step aerobics and jogging. I would do one or the other everyday. It was a great way for me to relieve stress and I lived off runner's high.

When I was a Sophomore at Rick's College (now BYU-Idaho) I started to have back pain. I still worked out everyday but I would down bottles of Ibuprofen like it was nothing. Finally, I started going to a Sports Medicine Doc in Idaho Falls. He sent me to physical therapy for 6 weeks. He said if I was not "cured" by then that he would order an MRI. (Note: 4 out of my 5 roommates were also going to physical therapy for back pain.) It was comical how we would all do our back exercises together. I came back 6 weeks later knowing that my pain should be gone. He asked if it was better (I was probably a doctor's worst nightmare--definitely NOT clear about my symptoms.) I told him...well it does feel better after going to physical therapy but then it still kinda hurts. Maybe it's getting better, I can't really tell. He's told me that wasn't good enough and that he was sending me off for an MRI and in 2 weeks I was getting injections. (I was lucky to have a great doctor who wanted to get to the bottom of my pain!)

When I went back to his office the next week he put up the MRI film for me to see. He asked me if I saw anything wrong. There was a large black mass at the bottom of my back. Not sure what it was, he sent me to lunch while he consulted an Orthopedic doctor. When I returned he had lined up a full days worth of tests for the following day and told me it was either A. A bone infection or B. A Tumor. As he was sensitively telling me this information (I was 19 years old and all alone in his office) I immediately felt a huge wave of warmth and confidence and knew that everything was going to be ok. Right then I knew that God knew me, knew what was going on, and knew the outcome. I still have a strong conviction of how individually Heavenly Father knows and cares about each of us from that experience. My doctor, sensing my calm confidence, asked if I was scared. I replied that I wasn't and was just glad that we had finally found out what was wrong. He insisted that this was very serious and that I should be very concerned. (I think it worried him that he was more scared than me.) The weeks and months that followed were difficult and I continued physical therapy for about 9 months after my surgery.

At first I was frustrated that I couldn't run or do aerobics everyday. It had been my "outlet" before. Slowly I got my strength back and my back healed. I worked up to walking (at first with a walker -- I really did feel like an old woman), then jogging, and finally running. But....I never got back into exercise the way I had before surgery. It's never appealed to me the same way...I got over my "addiction". I think 20 minutes in the gym in ample. I still love the way I feel after working out hard, but I am content with a few times a week (if my husband reads this he will say it's more like a few times a month.)

4. I have always been shy. If you don't believe me, that's a good thing! I have worked very hard to overcome this. I think Susy and Bonnie are the only ones who can appreciate how shy I really was as a kid! My junior year in high school I became friends with a group of people. One of the outgoing people* in this group of friends commented one day (I have never forgotten this) that I was a cool person and they all used to think I was stuck-up because I didn't talk to anyone. I was SHOCKED. How can one person be deemed as shy and the next as stuck-up? Whatever the distinction, I didn't want to be thought of in that way. I decided I would be the first to talk to and say hi to people no matter how awkward it felt. It did get easier, but I have to say that I don't think it will every be easy for me. However, I do love talking and people and friends--all great motivators to go out of my comfort zone!

*Clarification on "one of the outgoing people" (all of my hs friends are going to think I'm talking about them!) It was Matt H. He had been playing match-maker with me and his friend. One day when he was playing "middle man" he broke the news to me about being stuck-up.

5. I always felt strongly about education and finishing a Bachelor's degree at minimum. That still hasn't happened and it nags at me every once in a while. After my Junior year of college, I decided that I needed to serve a mission (I had never planned on this but I felt I should go and have never regretted it.) Jared and I were married just months after I returned. Jared started med school and I took on the responsibility of being the bread winner for 4 years. I really did love working and made some great friends through my work that I miss. I did continue school through night and on-line classes. It was slow and frustrating at times. When Marley Makai came along I put school on a long pause.

6. My husband and Marley are truly two of the biggest blessings of my life. I could not have husband who is better for me than Jared. He balances me--is patient when I have a quick temper, is outgoing when my shy side tends to come out. I have fun everyday because of him. He's also a hard worker. When I first met him, he told me he was pre-medicine. I thought , yeah right! All the other pre-med people I had met at that point were totally studious and a bit nerdy (no offense to any of you doctors out there. I have since changed me opinion on this!!) I thought he was just trying to impress me. Turns out that he is totally fun AND smart. Marley has added sugar and spice to our lives! She's spunky and social and loves to be the center of attention. Before her, I didn't know that having children could be such a blessing. I can't imagine life without her.

Last time I tagged people they didn't follow through...so we'll try this again.

Amberlynn
Dionne
Stephanie
Carmen
Allison
Jen

Comments

  1. I never really heard the hole story of your tumor,I think that is when I was in New York! At times like those, i am indeed greatful of our loving heavenly father.

    I have never thought of you being shy. A shy person would never hold someone down and steel there Halloween candy. Yep you did do that! I know your smiling, but I am still holding feelings toward you and Susy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I didn't follow through last time I was tagged. I'm soo bad. Going to my blog and leaving a comment makes it harder to get away with it :)! It reminds me of when the Theriots, "invited," Judd and I back to the book of remembrance class because we didn't complete a lot of our homework assignments, so they told us we had to repeat the 6 week course. And we thought that we were in the clear! Ha, ha. Looks like I have an a new post I need to work on! Don't worry Heidi, I'll get you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have met you after your shy stages and you are far from being stuck up! For some reason while I was reading your post I thought of our "White Trash" Party, do you remember that party!?! That was a way random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Remember the 4 post? That was easy. I have no idea how to follow through on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you suffered a major medical trauma. It was very brave of you to share it, I think. I asked Asia to read it.

    We need to remember many of our greatest achievements are accomplished in private, or beyond the common view of those around us. I hope my wounded girl can rise above her hurts; psychological and physical. You are - by your beautiful, vivacious, talented self - enjoying life - a wonderful example of victory over challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts