On Top of Everything Else

I went to yoga this evening, feeling like I really needed it. It felt good and I came home ready to eat and have a nice warm shower to wash away the day. We get home and Marley runs inside, and comes out a few minutes later saying something about the water not turning on.  Sure enough, no water.  After a few phone calls, the conclusion is that we would have no water until the following morning.  My immediate thought was, "Of course.  This, on top of everything else today."


I had a bad day.  The kind where I walked into Jared's office, 3 kids in tow, sandwich in hand and he took one look at me and quietly shut his door and put his arms around me.  I probably cried for a good 3 minutes before he asked me what was wrong.

I had been out and about that day - library party with the kids, lunch at the park, and several errands on my "to do" list.  I had stopped at a tiny convenience store-ish place that sits smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood to grab a yummy sandwich for Jared for work.  Kids were tired and it was a cool day (70 degrees outside) with clouds threatening rain.  I parked in front of the door - the only car in the parking lot.  I left the kids in the car, locked the door, and ran inside.  I ordered my sandwich and watched my van from the glass doorway.  My sandwich was finished in about 3 minutes.  I grabbed the white paper bag and walked outside.  A man had pulled up in his truck beside mine and was writing my license plate number down.  Confused,  I asked if I was illegally parked.  "Mam, when I get home I am calling the police and telling them that you left your kids in the car."  Still confused I said, "My car is literally 10 steps from the store and I could see them the entire time."  He went on to tell me how kids die in hot cars every summer, etc etc.  Still baffled, I bravely asked, "Sir, my car is not hot.  Are you trying to help my kids or hurt them?"  His reply, "I don't care about you.  I care that you left your kids in a hot car."  

I slowly go into my car, my anger gently fizzling into hurt and turned on my car.  The temp read 71 degrees.  I held my breath all the way to Jared's office, trying not to cry.

Driving home that day I decided that it wasn't the mean man that was so upsetting or a potential call into the police, but the threat of my children being taken from me.  Whether that threat was an actual possibility or not, it was the worst threat someone could give me.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry! I was actually just talking about this to my sister in law. I think that people are going crazy judging others and telling others how to parent. Sadly, there have been some cases where people have not used common sense and left kids in dangerous situations, but I think you were totally okay! We used to choose to stay in the car for when my mom was grocery shopping (a lot longer than 3 minutes for sure!). Your family is adorable and unfortunately we just have to ignore people who are focused on being judgmental rather than being helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary - to have a complete stranger make a judgement call on something you made a decision that is valid and appropriate. I would have done the same thing when I could clearly see the car and it would be quick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awful!!! I am so sorry that happened to you, I have definitely done that more times than I can count. It's the parents call, not a random strangers as to what is safe. You are an awesome Mom. I'd like to see that guy run errands with 3 kids all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry Heidi!!! That is pretty ridiculous. You are a good mom and don't ever let some random mean man make you think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh. As if M, a 7 year old, couldn't open a door or a window if it was too hot. Or even J, for that matter. Its not like you left an under 2 year old in a locked car during the summer in AZ!! Some people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts