Warm Welcome Home

My nurses in the hospital were so great.  Our last night there they took Luke into the nursery so we could get some sleep.  It's amazing what sleep can do.  I felt so great and relaxed that day.






We got home Thursday afternoon.  That night we all crawled in bed and then it started. First it was Marley. She started screaming/crying.  She had thrown up all over the floor.  We got her cleaned up and then Jake puked in the bed.  Then Marley had diarrhea.  Then Jake had diarrhea.  On and on it went all night long.  I could still not really bend over very well so I wasn't much help other than trying to calm one down while Jared was helping the other.  Of course there was Luke who, like all newborns, needed to eat every couple of hours.  Finally we decided the safest thing was that I would just take care of Luke and Jared and the kids would stay as far away from us as possible.  It was AWFUL.  Luckily, my sister-in-law was staying over to help.  The next morning, we told her she had day shift and we went to bed.  I think they had gotten most of it out during the night because by afternoon the kids were jumping and skipping around as if nothing had happened.  Jared and I, on the other hand felt like we'd been hit by a truck.


 The grandparents brought the kids books and Marley was especially thrilled with her princess books.

 Making breakfast Saturday morning.




Friday my parents arrived.  As soon as I saw them I, of course, started crying.  Tears of joy of course.  No matter how old you are, there is something super comforting about having your parents with you when you are struggling.

My dad had to leave Saturday to get back to work and church responsibilities.  It was short and sweet but we were happy he made the trek out to meet Luke.  Jake was thrilled to see grandpa.  Every time Luke cried he told us that Luke wanted grandpa to hold him.

Saturday afternoon Jared started getting sick.  He said his stomach didn't feel quite right.  Sunday he spent the entire day and night in the bathroom.  Sunday I spiked a fever and my incision started looking a bit red.  When I went in to the doctor on Monday, she confirmed that I had an infection and opened up my wound to drain it.  I felt awful - high fever, painful incision to the point it hurt to walk, and an emotional wreck.  I cried most of Monday and finally asked for a priesthood blessing that evening.




Monday was a bad night for me with chills and fever.  I called my mom when Luke woke up because I couldn't stand up the pain from my incision was so bad.  She came in to change him and hand him off to me to feed and then took him back to bed.  Thank goodness he's a good baby.

Today we're all feeling better.  I think it will be a while until I feel good or great, but I feel okay today and that is a drastic improvement that I will take!




I think Marley & Jake are as in love as I am.

Comments

  1. oh gosh Heidi -- That makes me so sad to hear your week. But your post was wonderful because it was full of adorable baby pictures. So glad your mom could come spend time with you.
    I ended up with one horrible birth down at the hospital. My mom was going to stay at our house with our other kids but for some reason changed the plans and came down to the hospital with Dave and I. Everything got better the minute she walked in the door. There's something about moms when you are having a hard time.
    You've got some beautiful pictures of all three of your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds HORRIBLE. I wish we were there to help out. I'm glad you had family there to pick up the pieces. And also glad you guys are all on the mend. Congrats on your beautiful new miracle! What a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Heidi, I can't imagine that first day home. At least you have some 'memorable' stories to share with your kiddos when they start their families. ;) Hang in there. Three was my number. That is when I had a really hard time. I hope that is not the case with you. Please call me, anytime. I could share some stories. ha, ha. Love you! Now, get some sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Heidi - you are one tough momma! You are in our prayers. Three was definitely this kicker for us too! So, don't quit just yet. Things will pick up and then somehow there's a routine and you look at yourself wanting to pat your back over and over again because somehow you managed to make it through the tough stuff! You are wonderful though and your kids are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart! I know you can do it. Post pardum is such a roller coaster. Luke is so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts