Last night I was bone tired.

We saw Jared for about 20 minutes before we sent him off to work.  He's doing nights right now (5pm-9am and then a 24+ hr shift 1x a week) He sleeps from about 9:30 - 4:00 and then leaves about 4:45 to do it all again.

I was already tired from a full day when we saw him off and then ran a "quick" errand.  It ended up taking much longer than I had planned.  I was trying on running shoes (did you know you're supposed to wear about a size bigger in running shoes than regular shoes?) and my kids were running around the store like crazy and no matter how much I coaxed them to come sit by me, they would not.  In fact, they kept egging each other on.  I don't think I can expect much more from a 2 and a 5 year old.

We got home and I started making dinner while they had a dance party.  I figured grilled cheese would be something they would eat along with some fruit.  Jake took one bite.  That's it.  I had just taken my first bite, when Marley needed me to make her another...

Next was bath time.  I put them in, brushed their teeth, washed their hair and then let them stay in for a minute longer to play (I don't always do that but they love to play in the bath).  I left briefly to lay out their jammies.  When I came back in (literally 2 minutes later) much of the water that was in the bath tub was now all over the floor.  They were giggling and kicking.  I lost it.  I was so tired.  I didn't have it in me to clean up another mess.  I told them to get out and to clean it up.  Caught off guard by how upset I was, they both started crying.  When we had finally all calmed down, we snuggled together in bed and I apologized.  I told them how tired I was and that since daddy was always gone lately, I had to do everything by myself.  We talked about ways to help each other.  Marley announced that tomorrow she would decorate my room.

Then, Jake told me he was hungry.



Comments

  1. Days and work schedules like that are tough! I ALWAYS think of the scene from The Christmas Story whenever we "sit" down for dinner and I am up/down/up/down, many times just eating my plate at the counter so that I am closer to all the things I get requests for. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the line in the movie is: "My mother hasn't had a hot meal in 10 years." SO TRUE! Keep it up...just a few more years, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Heidi. You'll be so glad you documented this time. When I call my mom after days like that, she laughs. It does make me feel a little better, even though I know another day like it is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brings back some memories that are just too real to want to remember. Parenthood is exhausting! How cute that Marley wants to decorate your room. That is just sweet. Maybe she can decorate AND make her brother another cheese sandwich.
    (PS, drop your kids off here once in a while while you run errands. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see you get mad. It's hard to imagine. I'm glad I'm not the only one. If you want to feel better about a mess, just come take a walk around my house. And ditto to Cindy, drop you kids here while you go do stuff! They are ALWAYS welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts