Preschool Thanksgiving Celebration

Parents were invited to Marley's school for a Thanksgiving lunch.  It's pretty fun to watch her interact with her classmates and teacher.  She still adores her teacher.

This year we've had to have a few discussion about being kind to everyone.  I think with both kids and adults we tend to click with certain people and become exclusive both intentionally and unintentionally.  I think it's fine to be closer to some than others but it's so important to include all that want to be included.  

Marley's school is diverse.  I love that.  I think it's great for her at a young age to get to know people from different races and backgrounds.  When I joined her for lunch this day, she was standing next to another little girl whom I hadn't met yet.  I asked Marley who her friend was.  Marley replied, "This is ____.  She's black!"

  It was innocent.  It was neither a positive nor a negative comment.  Rather, a statement.  However, growing up with 3 siblings that were adopted I am a bit sensitive to this.  

One of my three adopted siblings was very sensitive about being different.  We grew up in a very small, white community.  My brothers and sister are brown (a mixture of things and gorgeous I might add).  When kids would point out my brother's curly hair or brown skin he would cry and ask why he was different.

I'm hoping that Marley's exposure will help her see her classmates as individuals rather than black, brown, white, red-headed, etc.

As a side note, many of her classmates speak Spanish.  She is very intrigued by this and often at home will speak her made-up Spanish.

 Pre-Thanksgiving lunch story.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts