Week 2

I was seriously excited for Marley to go to church on Sunday to play with some kids her age.  At the same time, I was nervous that she wouldn't like being in a new environment.  I was so proud of her when I dropped her off at nursery and she went right in.  No tears.  I waved good-bye, and she waved back.  When I came back 2 hours later to pick her up, the nursery leader told me that she had been quite a hit with the other kids.  They all wanted to hug her and pick her up.  She was all smiles.  What a social gal.  She definitely inherited that trait from her dad...and I'm so glad.  It warms my heart to see her so happy.

We visited the Alaska Zoo last weekend.  It was seriously a rinky-dink zoo, but we had a good time.  Marley found some kids that looked about her age and followed them around the whole time :)  There were black bears, brown bears, a polar bear, bear cubs....all these cute cuddly bears didn't scare me but the wolves did!  Those things are freaky.  Even more scary are the stories my husband comes back from the hospital to tell me about animal attacks.  I got my fix of wild animals at the zoo.  I PRAY that don't run into any in the wild.

Sunday we decided to take a drive out to Turnagain Arm to do some whale watching at Beluga Point.  It was seriously windy and cold - which killed my interest in seeing the whales.  I jumped out for a second, took a peak, and jumped back into the car.  I'm hoping to do a day-cruise on Jared's weekend off.  Maybe I'll see some whales then :)

As I've said, I'm definitely NOT a cold weather girl.  However, I have been enjoying cooking some foods that I haven't in a long time - especially soup!  Nothing tastes better than soup when it's cold and rainy outside.  If anyone has any great cold weather recipes, pass them along! ;)

Comments

  1. Rinky-dink or not, that is a different set of animals than you would see here, so that is cool.
    There is nothing like soup or stew simmering at the end of a cold day. I wish it were cold more often here to thoroughly enjoy that experience. I like to pretend when the temperature here is mildly cool, and I'll make a big pot of chili and some cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you already make a soup like this Heidi - but here's one that my whole family loves and the missionaries seem to like it to - and actually I think I have to give credit to Cindy Hale who gave it to me first.

    Cut up one onion, and a sack of potatoes (probably 15 potatoes?...you can cut this down, it makes a lot but we eat if for a few days because it's great warmed up)put the potatoes and onion in a large pot, cover with water until the water covers, but not more than a inch above the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes start to turn soft when you prick them with a fork (there's no exact science to this, you can cook them til their almost falling apart or just until they are tender). Add cream or milk until the soup is the consistency you like (less is thicker obviously). Add in a cup or two of shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Voila - you're done.

    I also add other things to this sometimes, I've done broccoli, carrots, corn, celery and leeks. It's pretty darn tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, it's starting to cool down in cedar, and i just made this tortellini soup for me and paul this weekend, and have been eating the leftovers ever since! i made a whole recipe--this is half, a way more appropriate size :)

    1/4 lb italian sausage
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1 T minced garlic
    3-4 c beef broth
    1 c water
    4 oz tortellini
    1/2 c sliced carrots
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1/4 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp dried basil
    1 can tomato paste
    1 c sliced zucchini
    a couple stalks sliced celery
    some fresh parsley, if you want

    cook the sausage in a POT then take it out and set it aside and cook the onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.
    add the broth, water, carrots, spices, both kinds of tomato stuff, and the sausage.
    bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer uncovered for about a half hour.
    add the zucchini, tortellini, celery, and parsley. cook covered for another 25 minutes.

    sooooo good. seriously. especially with warm crusty bread....i'm making myself hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts