Consistency

Marley is a determined and independent soul. I think both of these traits will serve her well in life. However, a 1 year old that is independent is almost an oxymoron. She doesn't understand that. Last night I got home from young women's and it was time to put Marley to bed. (She had joined me since Jared was working late.) We mixed up a bottle and Jared took her in to rock her and then put her down. When the bottle was finished, she sat up and pointed to her crib. We didn't hear a peep from her the rest of the night. Now you may all be thinking what wonderful parents we are to have taught her so well to go to sleep when it's bedtime but before you pat us on the back I do have to tell you that she only does this when she thinks bedtime is her idea. Otherwise, she can scream for almost an hour from her crib making me feel like a heart-less parent. I just don't know how to break it to her that she is not yet old enough to make these types of decisions for herself.


Ken & Kathy Olson came to visit. This was after we gave in to Marley's "going to bed screams" and let her come out and join us. See how happy she is? Why is it so hard to be a consistent parent?

Comments

  1. Poor Marley, it is so sad that your parents are so heartless and make you go to bed even when you don't want to! Her hair is getting long, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. I feel the same way (especially w/ the going to bed or for naps thing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been a stickler in this area of parenting and my kids have always been the best sleepers. But for some reason this time I am not ready to let Cole cry it out...not consistenty at least. He is almost 7 months and the best time to teach him has already passed. I don't know what my problem is. I was talking to my mom earlier this week and she made the comment that you turn back into a softy the more kids you have. I think I agree with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mical-

    I can see that you get easier with more kids (does that mean I better become really strict now?!) We all totally think my mom was more strict with the older kids that she was with the youngest...it's just how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it stinks to be the "heartless" parent, but you are rewarded later! Although, it's hard when they are just so cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm okay with "heartless" and consistent. Especially when I know they won't remember any of it!

    Actually, consistency is one of the most important things I have learned as a parent. It totally pays off, and the kids really do need it.

    Although, that leaves me spending nights away from my husband while he is out-of-city on business. I could have gone with him to visit some family, but I didn't want to take the kids away from their "consistent" life for just 2 nights - not worth it (and I wanted the time to get a LOT done!) So, I think I pretty much just cancelled all my reasoning out just now. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts