Underweight or just small?

I took Marley in for her 1 year appointment yesterday. We waited for 2 hours to see the doctor. Marley WAS healthy going in to the appointment, but I wouldn't be surprised if she came down with something in the next couple of days after spending so much time in that germ-infested office. She weighed 17 pounds and was 28 inches long. This drops her down to the 10th percentile (from the 50th in both categories). The pediatrician wanted to put her on a diet of pedia-sure (sp?) for 30 days and then bring her back in for a weight check. The whole time I was thinking "Have you seen my large stature?" I only weighed 14 pounds at one year, my mother-in-law isn't even 5', and my mother barely hits 5'1". I think my little girl is just small. She already eats like she's not going to get another meal, but I'm going to try to fatten her up and see if we can bring her up on the charts a bit. I am glad that my pediatrician is assertive and wants to be sure that her body is absorbing nutrients correctly, but I am not too concerned.

Comments

  1. She looks healthy to me! Cute as ever and just taking after her mommy! Of course I grow very healthy kids I guess(Gary and I both have very tall large people in our fam's) Cameron was 18 pds at his 4 month check up and 25 inches long. He's a chub, but Nathan was similar and is growing more upward then outward now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so some kids are just little and there's nothing you can do about it! One of my friends has a little girl who is teeny too. She is so small that that doctor threatened to call the state to make sure she wasn't malnourished! Keep in mind, my friend probably weighs less than a hundred pounds herself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyson had his own growth chart the first year of his life! He finally made the 1st percentile at his 12-month checkup! Woo hoo, right? Well he has never been above the 5th percentile in his 4-years! I just say he got the asian build, the kid just doesn't grow. Ray, on the other hand, grows like a weed, we can't keep up with her.

    You are so small, she's just like her mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she is just small too. Look at my kids. They are small. Actually, Evie is the biggest one of all. She is actually on the charts and wt is about 50percentile...but slowly going down I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts