My daughter has been in a total funk lately. Bedtime/naptime used to be so easy. She was pretty much like clock-work and when she was tired, I would feed her and rock her for a short time and she would willingly go to sleep.
Not the case lately. When she catches herself falling to sleep, she will sit up and start wiggling around. She won't even let me hold her. Yesterday she had gone without any good naps and was totally overtired by the time evening came around. Finally at 9 pm, I put her in bed to cry it out. Now, I'm a complete weakling when it comes to letting her cry it out. So, I put on Freedom Writers with the earphones and turned it up so all I could hear was my movie. Jared was in the next room studying so I knew if things got out of hand he would let me know.
Let me tell ya, this movie was a tear-jerker. For the last couple of years while Jared was in med school in Milwaukee, Jared and I were youth leaders for the inner-city kids of our church (ages 12-18). This movie totally struck a chord with me. Many of our kids faced similar things as the kids in the movie. I miss my girls and still pray for them. Anyway, it's based on a true story and worth checking-out if you haven't already.

Comments

  1. I have that movie and have been meaning to watch it for months now. I'll have to make some time for it...usually sleep wins.

    Did Marley give up? It seems like everyone of my kids started to test the waters about seven months. Like they really don't want to miss out on one thing. In fact, I think that's the age Jamis was when we had to start putting him in his car seat to make him hold still long enough to go to sleep. NO JOKE! Good luck!

    Hey, did you see that I actually posted some pictures on my blog... formerly know as "the big rolling turds".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to see that movie! Hang in there with marley & her fighting sleep. It's hard to hear them cry, I know cause I am a softy and usually give in, but I know that sometimes that's the only way they know you mean business about bed time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I couldnt even finish that movie. It made me so sad and homesick for milwaukee. It was like seeing my school on the big screen. It made me think about Rose and JoAnn. I hope that they are doing ok. Marley is so cute, it would be hard not to give into her :) hang in there!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like it was easier for Alan to lay Dallin down and let him cry then it was for me too. They are just so darn cute and make you feel like you need to come rescue them. You're doing great Heidi. How is Jared and the residency going and how are you doing w/ him working a lot? Alan is busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen-

    yeah, i know marley's problem is quite a bit of my own problem...i love to rock her to sleep. after letting her cry it out for the past few days, she is getting better though.

    jared is busy---although he's not as busy as i thought he would be. he doesn't do more than 80 hrs a week. he's usually on-call 2x a week and does 12's other than that. he does study a lot in the evening though so he's not really mine when he's home. how are you doing with one on the way and alan being so busy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heidi!
    Sorry I haven't been in touch for so long! Marley is way cute! It is probably really hard to give her some tough love because she has such a cute face! Stay strong! I'm glad Jared hasn't been too busy! I'll have to watch that movie sometime. Yohanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there Heidi! I know it is so hard to sleep train because it just breaks your heart, but I PROMISE it's worth it. Promise promise! The hard part only lasts a short time, and then after you get through that she will be a lot happier!

    Every now and then she'll try and throw a fast one on you just to test her limits, but when she does it doesn't last long because she already knows the rules .. as long as you're consistant. Trust me! Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that movie! And for me, a complete non-reader, I almost bought the book... but decided to finish the other ones on my list first. It was SO awesome and just very compelling... as if being a kids wasn't hard enough, they had to go through such intense things. So not fair.

    Oh and no worries... the "FUNK" will pass. I've done the same with my Zune and headphones to drown out the cries. But I think, it's the best thing you can do is teach your kid how to sleep well... and without you rocking/comforting them to sleep each time. That's just IMO (in my opinion). And take the monitor OUT of your bedroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts