Gear

My husband loves gear. I'm not really sure exactly why he loves it. It's not like he really has time to use it right now being in medical school. Last year for his birthday I got him a hiking backpack. I knew he would really want to look into what one he wanted so I went to REI and chose the "cutest" one. I had no idea what the next few months would bring. He was VERY excited about his backpack and started researching and reading about backpacks. He spent several hours in REI and on the internet. He exchanged the backpack twice at REI and then ordered another one online. He ended up keeping 2 backpacks. He has never used one of them. The other he used once on an overnight camp.Our first Christmas I got Jared some 2-way radios (walkie-talkies). He loved them. Again, I'm not really sure if we really NEED them. We've taken them a few places. Though, we've mostly used them as toys. Jared will have somebody lag behind in the hike so they can talk or we will give one to the other car in our party.

Last Christmas I got Jared a Jetboil camping stove. This has also been used 2 times. Once in our own kitchen (he made me dinner) and the other time in a hotel (saving money during residency interviews).

So our latest gear "need" has been a tent. We're going to Hawaii this June to celebrate Jared's graduation and we want to hike the Na Pali Coast on Kauai. It's really rainy and we thought we should take along a small tent. This one is legitimate, Jared says, because we will be doing an overnight hike.
Jared was so excited on Saturday when he got it that he set it up in our small apartment living room. He showed me all of the details that he loves about it. I really think that Jared would have been a great salesman.

Comments

  1. sounds like Derek and Jared have something in common! Whatever makes them happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand Jared's gear fetish. Sorry Heidi, I think it is a guy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you can see from the other comments, you are not alone! My husband loves gear as well! I have to put my foot down sometimes because Gary is a good salesman as well and if I let him we would have enough stuff to start our own store! Just wait till you have a boy and your kids are all grown up...he will want even more...it never ends, but at least it can be used to do family stuff or even in case of an emergency-that's how I justify it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts