Kitchen & Moving

We moved in!  No, the house is not yet complete but I figured it was livable enough.

Moving weekend was....stressful.  Pregnancy just complicates everything...so does a 2 year old! ;)  By mid-day Saturday Marley was hungry and tired.  I took her to Einstein Bagels and then thought, "Where is she going to sleep?"  I finally found her pack n play and set it up in our empty apartment, but she couldn't sleep with all the commotion of people coming in and out.   It was a LONG day.  Cleaning my apartment went something like this, scrub the tub for a minute until contractions hurt too much to keep going, then lay down on the floor for a minute or two until they stop...I think you get the picture! :)

The first 2 days we had no hot water & the toilet didn't work.  The master shower didn't drain and the plumber told me that worst case scenario I would have to rip out all my newly laid tile to get it unplugged.  LUCKILY and THANKFULLY, he was able to get the demolition debris out of the drain without damaging anything.

We still don't have appliances.  Yes, we've had to eat out every meal or grab a granola bar and call it lunch :)  I don't have a kitchen sink so I have been washing the few dishes we've HAD to use in the bathroom sink.

They say hard things give you character...let's hope it gives me something other than tears! :)  j/k  I just have to remind myself that this is all temporary. 

There have been a lot of friends that have helped us move, etc.  I really appreciate them - thank you if you are one of them!! :)

On an exciting note, here are some pictures of our kitchen transformation.



Our kitchen when we purchased:

Demolition Day #1











After we beamed the back wall.




 (View from family room looking into kitchen)



(opposite view)

Tape & Texture





Cabinets and canned lights!

Since those last 2 pictures we have gotten tile laid and I get counter tops on Thursday!!!  I am very excited and anxious to have a working kitchen sink.

Comments

  1. Good luck with everything!! I can honestly say I know the feeling!! Both pregnancies we were either right in the middle of moving or doing demo on our house. IT is VERY stressfull, but you will make it through. Just make sure you do get help! Especially if your hubbie is working a ton. Your cabinets look GREAT by the way! Can't wait to see more pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally been there living in demolition. Hang in there. It looks like it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should all be worth it, Heidi! What a beautiful kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do we always want to rip everything apart when we're pregnant? That being said, it looks like it's going to be beautiful! How exciting you'll have a new home to bring the little guy to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful to have a house in an established neighborhood, but have a new kitchen too. The best of both worlds!
    I drove by your neighborhood to see if I could see a house that looked like it was being moved into or under construction, but I couldn't tell which one was yours. Hope things settle down soon. We lived in-house through several major remodels and lived to tell about it. (I don't think I was pregnant through the major ones though)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew, I am beat. I feel for you. Take care with those contractions, I absolutely FORBID you from having your baby before I have mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say...I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you aren't kidding that you are in the middle of some big projects! Can't wait to see the finished product . . . so far it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I didn't realize you tore out the entire kitchen. I was so excited for you looking at those pics. The kitchen is looking beautiful. I've been worried about you. I hope somehow you can start taking it a bit easier. You've got to let that little guy cook for a while longer!

    I can't wait to see all of the finished product pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man girl, no wonder your having contractions! Were trying to finish our basement, but we didn't have to bust down walls. Hopefully you can get a lot of things put away, and a boy room together before this little man comes. Still no name for him? I am so excited for you to get your first home, it looks beautiful. You will have to post pictures when the kitchen has its sink!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a job! The new kitchen is beautiful! I wish I had been there to help you clean! Then again, maybe 2 pregnant woman lying on the floor having contractions wouldn't have helped too much;) Can't wait to see the finished project! Is this the same house you posted about last year?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! You are crazy! All that and a hubby that is not around a lot. How do you manage? The kitchen is wonderful! Now I see, you had a house but weren't in it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking awesome! I can't wait to see the finished kitchen. I'm sorry that you're contracting in the middle of the chaos--you poor thing. But girl, if you can serve a mission in DK, you can totally do this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW that's awesome that ya'll are ripping things out and making it look how YOU want it to look. But are the first few pictures what you consider "livable"?! If so, I salute you! Have fun and TRY to take it easy. Funny about cleaning, contractions, laying on the floor. Though I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time... but it gave me a good, very empathise-able picture! The old kitchen from the small picture didn't look so bad... but the new one looks AWESOME! Good luck and take it easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you buy a house? I slacked for a bit and feel like I've missed out on a decade here! I can't believe how far along you are now! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your house is looking amazing! What a transformation. Please let me know if I can help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feeling antsy and I'm wanting new kitchen pics...along with belly pics!;) I'm so glad your mom was able to come down and help. Bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sus - Yes my parents were life-savers. I feel bad that we worked them so hard though. I think they were exhausted when they left. I will post finished kitchen pics...when it's finished! :)

    Claire- Thank you so much for everything. You have no idea how good a home-cooked meal tasted the other night after eating out for every meal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts