Change of Plans


We had great plans for my birthday weekend.

Why does 28 sound young when it's other people who are 28 and old when it's ME?  I still remember telling my friends that my mom was 27 (and I remember thinking that was OLD!)  

Anyway, we had a weekend trip planned for Sedona with hiking and exploring and camping.  I was pretty excited to have Jared to myself for the whole day....but there was a huge accident on the highway and...

After our 2 hour drive turned into 3.5 hours (and we were only 1/2 way there)
After it took 1 hour to go 1 mile  
After we watched the people in the cars on the highway next to us get out to walk their dogs, sell mangos, and get out to stretch
After all that, we decided to turn around at the next exit and come home.  It was going to take way too long to get around the accident.

I was excited because the swim suit I had ordered myself for my birthday arrived on Friday.  I waited until Saturday to open it, only to find that they had sent me 2 bottoms.  Does anyone else get themselves b-day gifts?  :)

Jared got me something as well (he wasn't supposed to), but it didn't come.  I think of it as a birthday extension :)

We spent the day relaxing by the pool.  Jared grilled me a delicious steak with pancetta wrapped zuccini (yum).  In lieu of birthday cake, I opted for the Coconut Chocolate Cream Cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory.  Just writing it out makes my mouth water all over again.  (SIDE NOTE:  I remember reading Jared's missionary journals and totally making fun of how he documented everything he ate.  I don't think I have any room to make fun any more :)

It was a fun, low-key day.

Comments

  1. Our daughter Rachel tried to go camping in Sedona Friday and got there at midnight with no campgrounds available. They got a hotel room and set up a tent inside the room. haha. That was a mess on the freeway!
    Happy birthday. (Post a picture of yourself in your 2 bottoms swimsuit.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your plans were spoiled by people selling manogs on the side of the road.

    Sounds like you had a fun birthday anyway! I was going to tell you...all you have to do is go to Bekah's house to see all my Craig's list furniture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Heidi, it fun to read your blog and hear about your cute family. Sounds like a crazy but fun birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia--

    ha ha!

    Lindsey--

    It was more the accident holding up traffic that spoiled the plans. I was just disappointed that the mango guy didn't share with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definetly opt out of the birthday cake for Cheesecake Factory, but I would have to go for the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake. I think there's enough calories in one bite to use up my whole days allowance. Sorry about the cabin, but we need to plan a time when we can go together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about you trip Hyde. I bet Marley wasn't so hip on the long car ride either...was she?

    BTW...what the heck is a manog? Did you mean mango??? HA...I have no clue what a manog is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you still planning another trip to Utah soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love and miss you!!! We hope you had a happy birthday!
    love the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Heidi! sounds like you made the right choice about that traffic. yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy late birthday to my Hydes! I was camping on your b-day, and I did think of you. So to bottoms, doesn't that make you so mad! Yes, I always get me b-day gifts and christmas gifts as well. :) Well hope all and all you still had a good time on your b-day with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Heidi!!! What a bummer about Sedona:( I love it there! Slide rock is a lot of fun. Have you been there yet?
    So where was your girl's camp at? Was it at Camp LoMia? If so, thats where I went to girls camp when I was younger:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dionne-

    No, I haven't been to Sedona yet. We've really wanted to get up there.

    Yes, Girls Camp was at camp Lomia. :) It must be where most go around here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay. Happy Birthday! Gosh 28 does sound old on YOU, just YOU. KIDDING! It's old on everyone! HA!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts