Safety

I have been shooting guns since I was a kid. My grandpa Smith loved the outdoors: camping, hunting, fishing, you name it. He was always setting up targets for us to shoot. I have to say that I was a pretty darn good shot in my day. I was stoked to take hunter safety when I was 12. Just ask Jayme. We took our course, passed our test (written and practical), and received our certificates. I was equally excited to go out and shoot my first deer until my dad told me that I would have to gut it myself. Only years later did I find out he was kidding. I still have never shot a deer....just a couple of rabbits and a bird on accident. (oops)

The reason I tell you all of this? Well, my husband has decided that I need to revisit my knowledge of guns and the handling of them. Last Saturday we went out shooting. Not rifles, but hand guns. I didn't really know what he meant by 22, 40, or 9. I do now. He warmed me up with the 22. Easy. No kick. Nice and smooth. I expected the same from my next gun; the 9. All I can say is that it scared the crap out of me!! It kicked so hard and I was totally not expecting it.

I shot a few clips but was done with that one. When he pulled out the 40 and told me it was more powerful I refused to shoot it. All that power in one gun is totally frightening to me. I pray that I will never come across the situation where I need to use it.

What sparked this? Probably that he heard this on the radio on a night that he was doing an over-night shift. And the fact that this many crimes have occurred in our zip code in the past month.

I have a feeling that we'll be taking a few more shooting trips to be sure that Jared knows I can handle the gun. The question is...would I be able to use it if I was in the situation?






On a lighter note. Here are some of the pics I took of Marley today.










"YEAH mom is going to take some pictures of me today!"


"I can hardly wait!"

"This Pillow is so funny!"


"Okay, all done Mama. Here's your cap."

Comments

  1. HAHA... I think this is funny about the guns! We have a gun in our closet and we were joking a few months ago about whether or not I would be able to use it if I had to... i'm still not sure... i've shot handguns for years and years (that was a typical date when logan and I were dating) but i'm still a little leary about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shooting guns too. I love surprising the guys that are with me that I am a pretty good hand at it.

    Shad and I were just talking on this subject all weekend. What would your first reaction be if you were in the situation?

    I just have to say, Heidi, if ever someone threatens the safety of your Marley, you'll know what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at the pics on your header...very cute BTW...and noticed the dress you are in. I SWEAR I have the exact same one in my cedar chest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mical-

    That is so funny. Marley actually wore mine once. I should have posted the pic of her in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing you stopped at the 9, the 40 would have launched you and your itty-bitty self accross the room!! And you just reminded me how much I love to shoot guns. I gotsta find me a shooting range now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Heidi with a GUN! Wow, don't mess with her! Ha, ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin laughs at me becuase everytime he's out of town I always think about my 'plan' if someone were to break into our house. He always reminds me that I have to be willing to actually shoot the gun, if I pull it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts