Productive


Becoming a mom takes a bit of an adjustment.

My life before Marley was all about doing things that would make me more productive so that I could find time to do well at work, go to school in the evening, serve in my church, hang-out with friends, keep a clean house, cook dinner, and spend time with my husband.

I am so grateful that I can stay home with Marley and watch her discover the world, but my world has definitely slowed down. Not that I have fewer things to do, but I have to just look at things a bit differently. I have to take a step back everyday and realize that what I see as counter-productive is actually play to Marley and important in her development. Putting things away as quickly as she pulls them out isn't necessarily the best option I've decided. Now, I sit down and play with her in her mess and then try to get her to help me clean it up. I'm hoping that she will soon catch on to the clean-up portion of play. Most days this "play" includes pulling everything out of every drawer in my kitchen. Dinner time is the worst. While I am trying to make dinner and keep her entertained, she is trying to make the world's biggest mess. I don't know if Jared appreciates dinner when he gets home or just wonders how such a little person could make such a mess!



"hmm...looks like my work here is finished."


"On to the next!"

Comments

  1. Don't you love cleaning up one mess to find the next one?! I think my gray hairs are comin' in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a play drawer? Cause I see a baseball in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I actually decided to give Marley 2 drawers to play in. She hasn't caught on that she can't play in ALL the drawers. I still need to baby-proof the other drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't really say that it get much better anytime soon =( I think I've found with all the kids that 18 months is the height of busyness! Some days are SO frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it seems the bigger and stronger they get the bigger the messes get. Jadyn's favorite place to play while i'm cooking dinner is inside the oven. I have to check everytime I turn it on to make sure there isn't a baby in there "taking a nap".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how we can relate! Our baby pulls stuff out faster than we can put it away. We also have drawers for him but he likes the ones that aren't for him because he likes being naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how we can relate! Our baby pulls stuff out faster than we can put it away. We also have drawers for him but he likes the ones that aren't for him because he likes being naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a great mommy! Kudos to you! Play with that adorable little girl all you can! Before you know it they go to school and would rather play with friends than you. :( I think it is do great that you take the time to play with Marley and let her make messes. Deklan is my little helper and he goes around cleaning up the messes Dallin makes, without being asked to or anything.(He is really the "mother-hen" type) It is great! Actually, Dallin would rather play with Deklan than me. I get a little time in too though!
    Being a mommy is the greatest. Although I do agree that dealing with everything else on top of beign a mom is a huge adjustment and finding a balance seems almost impossible at times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love this age. Both my boys know how to make a big big mess.
    Hey thanks for telling your mom about my vinyl. I hope she liked it. You will have to send a picture so I can see how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They definitely love to do what ever you are doing. It is amazing how much of a mess they can make and be such a little person :) Marley is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun. Wait until she discovers "doing the dishes." Marley is so cute and you are a great mom to let her have her fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heidi, I am laughing out loud! Just when you think your life couldn't be any busier, you'll have another little one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts