Practicing Medicine : Fascinating or gross?


So there are few things that I have learned along this journey of Jared becoming a surgeon.

One: I am amazed/shocked everytime he tells me something new he did. He usually smiles and says that it's called "practicing medicine" for a reason.

Marley and I have a tradition of visiting Jared on his call nights. It's one perk of living so close to the hospital. We pack him up some food for dinner and a late night snack. As soon as the elevator doors close to go up to floor 3, Marley starts kicking her legs. I think it's more because she loves elevators than that she knows that we're going to visit daddy. I, however, usually feel like kicking my legs because we're on our way to see my honey-baby. We settle ourselves down in the kitchen/conference room and visit and eat between pages.

Tonight his story was about a young man that came in with a nail in his finger. He's telling me this like anyone who comes to a situation in their job that needs fixing. He tells me exactly how the nail is in there and the challenges of getting it out.

I have learned to try to not get too grossed out at the procedures my husband does. Fascinating, yes! But my first reaction is always "EWWW Gross!!"

These thoughts are usually evident on my face. Jared will stop and then ask if I want him to go on with his story. I think he usually edits parts to avoid making me freak out.

Apparently the nail/nail gun that he was using is designed to make the nail bend when it comes in contact with something hard. So, after the nail went through the bone it bent. I can only imagine what this guy's finger looked like with a bent-up nail sticking through it.

Jared proceeds to tell me how he finally was able to rip this nail out of a guy's finger after deciding to not make any unnecessary incisions, he simply bent the nail and ripped it out of his finger. Nonchalantly he says, "I think the metal scraping his bone as I pulled it out took his breath away."

I always feel a bit of relief at the end of Jared's story, like the ending a of a suspenseful movie. You have to see it and see it through to the end, but what a relief when it is resolved! I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I love suspenseful movies and I am fascinated with Jared's stories. They both make my heart pump just a little faster.

What do you think? Fascinated or grossed out?

Comments

  1. Heidi- it was so good to see you the other day and now I found your blog! We will definitely have to get together more. I'm sure I will be asking you all sorts of things about Med school and so on, since you are the pro now. Marley is so beautiful, what a cute family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I copied your divided lists, having all my blog links under one category was getting pretty long. Good idea. OH, I could hardly look at that picture on your blog, good thing I'm just the wife of a future doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...gross!! That is why I will never be in any medical profession. More power to your husband! Someone has to be brave and take on those jobs! Just reading your story made me a little whoozie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fascinated. I am always the rubber-necker in traffic, I want to see what's going on, know exactly what happened and how it all resolved. Shad spent time in the ER and he always came home with stories. Then one time he told me that he would tell me the rest of the stories when all of our kids were past their 18th birthday. Some stories do disturb me, and I tend to freak out a little bit thinking of my own kids in that kind of hurt. But my curiosity is at a high to know what he saw and isn't telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture isn't of Jared's patient. I just found it online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. flat out FASCINATING!!! Oh and good to know that Jared isn't busting out the REBEL when he sees a cool shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am numb to the stories now.
    I have heard soo many since Alan's started too. But if I was just hearing it, fasinating but still would give me shivers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts